The Government Affairs division of the Montgomery County Attorney’s Office provides general legal services for Montgomery County’s day-to-day operations and gives legal advice and assistance to all county officials and employees in the following ways:
- Attend the meetings of Montgomery County Commissioners Court and various county boards and committees to provide general legal assistance.
- Provide both formal and informal legal opinions to members of Commissioners Court and other county officials relating to the performance of their official duties.
- Assist in drafting county policies and procedures.
- Help county departments and elected officials ensure compliance with relevant rules, regulations, and statutes applicable to county government.
- Draft and review proposed contracts and advise Commissioners Court, county departments, and elected officials regarding contract interpretation and administration.
- Support County legislative initiatives, draft proposed legislation, and advise Commissioners Court and county officials regarding other proposed and recently enacted legislation affecting the County.
Our attorneys represent Montgomery County and its elected and appointed County officials in all aspects of the employee-employer relationship. In addition to state and federal litigation, these attorneys handle matters before administrative agencies, such as the Department of Labor, the Texas Workforce Commission, and the EEOC.
We also assist with county-wide and department-level policymaking to ensure compliance with state and federal law. We advise management on legal issues that arise with a workforce of approximately 2300 employees.
This group, along with the Human Resources and Risk Management departments, helps County departments understand their rights and responsibilities under major employment law statutes, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family & Medical Leave Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.